Monday 2 January 2012

Menu planner w/c 2nd January


There have been many posts about menu planners and I guess I am feeling that I need to run a more organised ship (so to speak!)

The girls went back to nursery today and so I spent the time with their dad restoring order and then a little self indulgence with Tom Cruise.

Anyway, back to the job in hand. I don't need to worry about lunches as the girls have a hot meal at their nursery and I tend to reply on soup to see me through the day.

The challenge for next week is reduce the carbs but I really need to get back in the saddle before I do that !

Monday: bbq pulled pork and leftover veg. Basically, we are using up as much of the leftovers as we have.

Tuesday: haggis, neeps and tatties. I only ever buy haggis from MacSween's. They used to have a shop just up the road from where I live and I think they are the best. I also tend to buy my neep ready mashed from Mash Direct. It's not the cheapest of options but I find it a real pain to do a turnip and often they are very watery. These guys do a twin pack of neeps and tatties which does the four of us perfectly and makes this a really easy winter meal.

WednesdayDelia's paprika chicken although probably with less sauce, more paprika cooked in the slow cooker. Served with SpƤtzle (eggy noodles from Germany. These are difficult to find - try a french deli and look for product from Alsace. We always have some in the cupboard and they are great at this time of year). I like this because it uses chicken on the bone and is therefore tastier than breast and is cheaper into the bargain !

Thursday: smoked haddock and leek risotto (I tend to use this one as a good base and then adjust dependent in what I have in). The smoked haddock comes from Delish Fish in Peterhead and because it comes individually vacum sealed I just put it in the freezer until I need it. Then I take it out in the morning and leave it to defrost naturally.

Friday: Quesadillas, refried beans, soured cream and home made guacamole.

Saturday: Asian style salmon with pak choi and chinese greens (bought from the local Chinese supermarket!)

Sunday: Roast chicken, potatoes and greens from the local veg shop (so whatever looks good) and panettone bread and butter pudding with custard.

I will also try to do a batch of Delia's ragu which is one of my freezer staples and perhaps some flapjacks which might be useful as my breakfast bites.

No comments:

Post a Comment