Thursday 25 August 2011

The friends you meet in pregnancy are the best friends you'll ever meet

I remember my fantastic midwife Linda telling me the friends I would meet at ante-natal class would become my friends for life if I wanted them to.


Perhaps the contents of my sink will give an indication if this is the case....

Then Claire my insipid health visitor reiterated this when she encouraged me to attend the Tiny Tots class when Toots was only 6 weeks old. What I wouldn't have done to get out of the house and interact with other human beings. So I went. And she was right. Linda was right. Three and a half years later the girls (I hope that isn't offensive) I met then are and remain some of the best friends I have.

We don't get together as often as we would like - most of us have two little people now and so the last year our meetings have been more sporadic.








But when we get together it was like we had coffee yesterday. Or cake.... Funny how the chocolate popcorn is gone and the unsalted nut selection remains...



We moan about work. We moan about sleep or eating or inoculations. We moan about in-laws (this one a lot). We moan about husbands.

And so now I raise a glass from the last of the bottles of vino to my ante-natal buddies.  I'm not sure I would have made it through the last three years without you and hope that you will be with me for the next three years and beyond.

We will reinstigate our "book group" and aim to get together more. Life is too short to let things get in the way of good friends.




No comments:

Post a Comment